Thursday 20 May 2010

Step 1: Why do we eat?


I should have written about this before introducing the three hour diet and recommending healthy snacks so I apologise. It is still worth thinking about this even if you have already started a weight loss plan.

So, Why do we eat?

As humans, we tend to eat when we are feeling hungry or when we need nutrients. That is pretty obvious. Choosing the right food and eating at the right time lets us have a healthy body weight. But if you are thinking of losing weight, you may not have a healthy body weight or maybe it is not slim enough for you so it could be that you are choosing the wrong food to eat or are eating at the wrong time.

If you are choosing the wrong food, check out the food swaps I've recommended that have less fat and calories to what you may be eating.

If you are eating at the wrong time, read up on the Three Hour Diet. If it is not for you, plan when to eat each day and make sure you plan when to have the food prepared for that meal too. If you plan on having dinner at 6pm, also plan when to start cooking so that the meal is ready to eat by then.

Another reason why we may not have a healthy body weight could be that we eat too much.


So why do we eat too much?

You may think that you do not eat too much (and you probably don't) but there could be emotional reasons why you are consuming an extra few calories each day. Does a bar of chocolate make you feel less lonely or less sad? Unless you can fix the problems that you are temporarily fixing with a bar of chocolate or ice cream, then you will continue to overeat.



Why do I eat?

I haven't eaten chocolate for four whole days and already I feel sad and I'm craving chocolate like crazy! I know that unless I can tackle my problems unarmed with a bar of chocolate, I will continue to crave chocolate.


Why do you eat?

Either think about this or write it down. Do you consume too many calories because of eating the wrong food? If so, save on calories by choosing lighter options. Do you eat at the wrong time? Then plan your meals and stick to it. Are there any emotional issues that are causing you to consume too many calories? Sort out your problems rather than temporarily forgetting them with cake or whatever it is you consume to make you happy for a few minutes. If you can't fix them yourself then find someone to speak to. Your doctor may be able to refer you to someone who may help if overeating is affecting your health.

Once you know where you are going wrong and have planned how to fix your eating habits, you are ready to not only lose weight but keep it off in the future.

If you are interested in finding out more about what could be causing you to overeat, I recommend The Ultimate Weight Solution - the 7 Keys to Weight Loss Freedom by Dr Phil. This book has opened my eyes to issues that were affecting my eating habits and I couldn't have shared this post with you without it!

I hope this has helped at least one reader make healthy changes to their eating habits.

Have a healthy and happy day!

xoxo

5 comments:

  1. Hey Doll,

    I nominated you for an award on my blog, check it out and keep doing what you're doing!!

    http://dollface-24.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love to see the food swaps. its amazing sometimes how many calories the most unassuming foods have! good work.

    thekissters

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! I'm glad that you liked my post. If you click on the pink links then that should take you to the post I wrote on food swaps. Some of the products might not be available outside the uk but I am sure there are other brands that offer similar products xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've tagged you for a blog award :-)
    http://misssammiwrites.blogspot.com/2010/05/my-first-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww you too? Thanks so much xx

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.