Sunday 14 March 2010

My Mother's Day meal



I hope you all had a wonderful day! I certainly did. It's a nice feeling knowing that your mother feels appreciated and I've learned that I should treat her every now and again no matter what day it is because everyday is a Mother's Day really, isn't it?

Today I went to my mum's chosen restaurant - Mogo Grill and Juice, which serves African inspired meals. I've never tried Sub-Saharan food before because I could never find any locally so I was very pleased about this discovery. I'd love to tell you all about it in detail but there is only one Mogo in the UK at the moment and it will be unfair to tempt you knowing that a lot of you can't make it here. But if you are ever in town, this place have my seal of approval.



Choosing a meal from the menu was so difficult because not only am I the most indecisive person in the world but it all sounded delicious. Eventually, after the whole family ordered, I ordered a quarter of a Kalahari Sweet Chili Chicken, which, like all mains, comes with crisps, salad and a choice of either mashed potato and gravy, steak chips or capsicum & chickpea rice. I was too hungry for mash and I'm not a chips fan so I went for the rice.

We didn't wait very long for the food but we were told that one of our meals will take another six to seven minutes so they gave us a complimentary Caldera Garlic Ciabatta, which is toasted buttery garlic bread that comes with 2 sauces to dip them in. Very yummy but the bread was a little to soft to dip into one of the sauces, which has a soft cheese kind of texture.

The meal arrived as soon as we had finished the complimentary appetiser. My chicken thigh was covered in a sweet (but not too sweet) sauce and tasted beautiful with the rice. However, I wasn't pleased with the silly amount of crisps and salad I got. They were both only about a tablespoon's size! I covered the very little amount of salad I got with salad dressing, which they had lined up with ketchup and chili sauce on a table nearby.

Since we like to share our food, I got to taste everybody else's meals. My sister's Succulent Sunset Steak, which came with a jug of onion gravy, was nice and tender and so was my mum's Sizzling Serengeti Beef, which was mixed with grilled vegetables. My mother would have gotten her meal for free if we had known about the pre-booking offer. Ah never mind! My brother ordered the Zuri Chicken Spears, which were skewers made up of cubes of chicken, mushrooms and spicy red peppers. He also had the steak chips which were very nicely seasoned. I think I will have the chips next time I go!

The Zuri Chicken Spears
And no I didn't take this picture myself
Not quite alfresco weather just yet... sigh!

The price is very reasonable. Main meals, along with (a very small amount of) crisps and salad, and a choice of either mashed potato, steak chips or capsicum and chick pea rice start from £5.49. There are also three different lunch menus and a 10% student discount if you go on a weekday.

If you don't live anywhere near Mogo, then I hope my experience has inspired you to try something different. You might enjoy it.

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.