Saturday 2 October 2010

Making rice pudding - first attempt

I have been craving rice pudding the past few days. It's just that kinda weather. The kind that makes you wanna sit at home and fill your belly with warm food all day long. If you're British then you should know exactly what I'm talkin' about.

Since I don't like buying ready made food, I decided that the only way I could satisfy my rice pudding craving is to make it myself. I didn't realise that it takes too long to cook and when my belly craves something, it wants it now not 45 mins cooking time later! Yes it takes that long! And that is the 'quick' version! Some ask for 2 and a half hours!




So here's the recipe (The only problem I had with this recipe is that the rice wasn't soft enough so I would suggest using pudding rice instead):

1 cup uncooked soft grain rice
3 cups milk
Half cup sugar
2 tbsp butter
Pinch salt (optional)
Pinch cinnamon (optional)

1. Cook the rice according to packet instructions. This should take about 10-15 mins.
2. Once cooked, add the milk, sugar, butter and salt
3. As soon as it starts to boil, turn to low heat and allow to simmer for 25-30 mins whilst stirring occasionally
4. Once the rice pudding is nice and thick, it is ready to serve hot or cold. Add cinnamon for extra flavour.

Please remember that this is only my first attempt so if you have any tips on how to improve it then please share.

Enjoy and keep warm! x

1 comment:

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.